OVAID Borneo Fundraising Tour Oct 2018
|Travel Type :||Small group of up to 10 guests - Ages 14 years +|
|Expedition Grade :||Easy to moderate in parts (jungle trekking involved)|
|Activities :||Orangutan viewing & professional education, wildlife viewing, reforestation program, river cruising, bird watching and more.|
|Accommodation :||Local hotels, river boat and jungle lodges|
|Transport :||Private vehicles, river boat and on foot.|
|Giving Back :||You will directly be supporting OVAID in their work saving orangutans in providing vital veterinary equipment & supplies. You will also be helping in supporting the work being done by Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF) & The Orangutan Project (TOP).|
|Trip Duration (days) :||8 days (21 - 28 October 2018)|
|Price :||Price AUD$3,395 plus $1,500 secured fundraising ex Jakarta (twin share)
Travel Type :
Small group of up to 10 guests - Ages 14 years +
Expedition Grade :
Easy to moderate in parts (jungle trekking involved)
Orangutan viewing & professional education, wildlife viewing, reforestation program, river cruising, bird watching and more.
Local hotels, river boat and jungle lodges
Private vehicles, river boat and on foot.
Giving Back :
You will directly be supporting OVAID in their work saving orangutans in providing vital veterinary equipment & supplies. You will also be helping in supporting the work being done by Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF) & The Orangutan Project (TOP).
Trip Duration (days) :
8 days (21 - 28 October 2018)
Price AUD$3,395 plus $1,500 secured fundraising ex Jakarta (twin share)
Come see orangutans the only way they should be seen, in the jungles of Borneo and make a personal difference by contributing to a unique organisation helping to save the great red ape from extinction.
This is now the second Orangutan Odysseys fundraising tour supporting our wonderful friends, Nigel & Sara from OVAID in their quest to save the orangutans.
There really is nothing like giving back and on this specially crafted expedition, you will visit the jungle habitat of the orangutan and help protect them for generations to come.
Join your special guests hosts Nigel & Sara Hicks (OVAID founders) who will travel with you throughout the journey and give you their personal views about orangutans and how their organisation is helping to save them and allow them to released back into the jungle.
Meet Nigel and Ovaid !
On this eight day fundraising tour, beginning and ending in Jakarta, you will be visiting rainforests in Central Borneo, go trekking into the jungles of Sabangau National Park, in Central Borneo and spending time searching for wild orangutans in their natural surroundings. Also we will see orangutans in the final stages of rehabilitation on their dedicated islands adjusting to freedom and preparing for future release back to the wild.
You will also spend time along the way visiting 2 unique orangutan quarantine and rescue centres normally closed to the public and where veterinarians are breaking new ground on medical treatment of the red ape and where orangutans
are prepared for reintroduction back into the forests. This is where you will see the real difference being made by OVAID.
After Borneo, we head back to Jakarta. For those that want an adventure on the way back, we will be offering action packed extensions to Krakatoa or Lombok, or Java or perhaps to see Komodo dragons. If you are interested in adventure and giving back to the world at the same time, then you have got to be part of this expedition.
An Introduction to Ovaid.
Vet Nigel Hicks and his wife Sara Fell Hicks have been working with orangutan in Borneo since 2009. Through their experiences they recognised a need for the provision of veterinary equipment, medicines and practical veterinary mentoring to orangutan rescue groups and rehabilitation centres in Indonesia and Malaysia. Initially through friends they raised funds to enable them to buy equipment which they personally took out to Indonesia. It soon became obvious that a more formal structure was needed and in early 2014 Orangutan Veterinary Aid (OVAID) was established.
The charity supports vets working at the front line of orangutan rescue whether this is from illegal pet homes, human orangutan conflict or the illegal wildlife trade. These vets and their teams are often working in difficult, demanding and dangerous conditions with minimal equipment.
Our goal is to provide our guests with a unique experience, to observe wild orangutans in their natural habitat. We will provide you with a safe platform to observe other wildlife Borneo has to offer including proboscis monkeys, gibbons and more. We will also provide you with comprehensive information about the destination you are in so that you are fully informed of your surrounds.
- Travel with OVAID founders Nigel & Sara Hicks
- See the orangutans in their natural rainforest habitat
- Spend time cruising the amazing rivers searching for wildlife
- Trek through the swamp forests of Sabangau National Park
- Visit the 2 x BOS Foundation rescue centres (closed to the public).
- Travel into jungles to witness orangutan, gibbons, proboscis and macaque monkeys
- See the Dayak people of Borneo, learn about their unique culture and experience their way of life
- Help save the orangutans
ITINERARY - 8 days (21 to 28 October 2017)
Day 1 - 21 October: Arrive Jakarta.
We will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel for overnight accommodation at the FM7 Hotel located near the airport. Tonight we shall hold a tour briefing and introduction to your OVAID tour, in the hotel.
Early morning flight (like 6am) to Palangkaraya. We go to meet rangers and boats (motorised canoes) on Sabangau lake. Cruise up the river to rangers station and do trekking where we will hopefully see wild orangutans, monkeys, birds and more. Lunch provided. Afternoon return for sunset along the lake. Stop local restaurant for dinner. Overnight Swiss Bel hotel.
Travel to Tangkiling village and board our luxury river boat for river cruise. We will pass a couple of the orangutan islands, visit a dayak village, afternoon to Bukit Tangkiling (small rock hill) for sunset view across the area (with sundowner beers). return to boat for overnight on river.
Travel by our river boat to Nyaru Menteng to meet BOSF. Observe the release islands with BOSF team giving explantion about how the islands are used for pre-release. Return to BOSF for visit to the veterinary clinic and hand over goods donations and see orangutans return from forest school etc. Return to Palangkaraya and overnight at Swiss Bel Hotel.
Morning flight to Balikpapan. Travel to Samboja Lestari with a stop along the way at local forest area and climb up for a view tree canopy walk (for those not afarid of heights, and late afternoon we take a "black water" river cruise to see proboscus monkeys. Overnight at Samboja Lodge.
This morning after breakfast we will watch the feeding of orangutans on the islands and then transfer to Balikpapan Hotel before an afternoon boat cruise on bay looking for proboscis monkeys, birds etc. Overnight at Novotel hotel.
This morning we take our return flights to Jakarta to meet up with flights home or onward travel. Tour ends.
Why not think about seeing more amazing locations in Indonesia after your orangutan expedition? For more details about some of the exciting trip extensions on offer to other parts of Indonesia click here.
- Return domestic airfares from Jakarta
- Accommodation in Jakarta on Day 1
- Accommodations Palangkaraya, Balikpapan and Samboja Lodge
- Meals as outlined in Itinerary. (B,L,D)
- All National park fees including camera fees
- All transfers in all locations
- Professional local Guides through the expedition
- OVAID "goodie pack" (see details below)
- Donation included for a one year Orangutan Adoption
- Orangutan Odysseys t-shirt & water bottle
- Ranger and local guide fees
- International Airfares
- Travel Insurance
OVAID "Goodie Pack" - Valued at £50. Note: Issued after full tour payment completed
- Tote bag
HEALTH CERTIFICATE - Mandatory Requirement
Please note that as part of this special access visit all guests are required to provide a health certificates as outlined below. This is to ensure the continued health and safety for the orangutans in this location. Please arrange to visit your doctor and arrange for these certficates and forward a copy to our office prior to departure.
'Visitors must be tested for TB (by one of the following:x-ray, ICT test, Mantoux test) and Hepatitis B (by one of the following: HBsAg, Anti HBs, Anti HBc) before they will be allowed to enter the reintroduction centre. Evidence of these tests must be provided prior to entry at centres
DONATIONS, FEES AND COST
The purpose of this trip is to create awareness of the threat of extinction facing orangutans because of the destruction of their rainforest habitat and to raise funds to help orangutans. The trip hosts, Nigel & Sara are generously donating their time and expertise to help make this a most unique trip and a special experience for all our guests. Orangutan Odysseys tours have now raised over $900,000 since 2009 to help support the orangutan’s survival. Each participant of the trip will adopt an orangutan (included in trip fare) and agree to raising a minimum of $1,500 in donations for OVAID. Your participation in this event WILL make a difference.
How you money will be spent
All of the money raised will be completely utilised by OVAID to supply much needed equipment and medicines to the orangutan BOSF teams in Borneo and to support the further training of Indonesian vets. Nigel has advised the following equipment supplies will be provided
- For Nyaru Menteng1 x Agfa DX-D40 ‘instant’ digital radiography solution.
- In addition we will provide a new portable x-ray generating machine which is capable of x-raying a fully grown male orangutan
- Together these two pieces of equipment will provide a state of the art complete digital x-ray system for the centre.
- OVAID will provide full on-site installation of the equipment together with full training over several days to ensure that the vet team are confident in it’s use.
- The supplier will provide full back up for the machines in event of any failure, both remotely (some solutions can be fixed remotely via computer) and if necessary in person.
- OVAID will also fund free on site specialist training in the use of the Eikmeyer ultrasound machine that is currently at Nyaru Menteng by a fully qualified sonographer over the same period as the x-ray training. This is something that the vet team have specifically requested.
- Depending on the income from the tour and OVAID’s fundraising activities over the next few months we would also like to assist in fulfilling many items on the ‘wish list’ of the veterinary team at Samboja Lestari. We will communicate with centre on their exact requirements but we should be in a position to contribute a significant donation.
How else you can help - Bring along some Vet supplies.
The following is a list of useful equipment for tour participants to bring if they would like to make a personal contribution / presentation. The items are always needed by all centres. Your local veterinary practice might be willing to make a donation (e.g slightly out of date suture material can still be used ) or they can help you to obtain some items. Alternatively for those of you within the UK, OVAID can make direct purchases on your behalf. If you are offered other items as donations please feel free to contact OVAID re: suitability at email@example.com
- Tournoquets similar to click here:
- Gauze swabs (100 x 10cmx 10cm non sterile) Probably obtainable from your local vet
and are cheap click here example
- Finger pulse oximeters similar to click here.
- Stethoscopes. Quality stethoscopes like Heine or Littmanns cost approximately £40 - £65
+VAT OVAID can purchase these VAT free if you contact us
- Quick read digital thermometers similar to click here.
- Suture materials - especially vicryl or PDS size 2/0 or 3/0 on cutting needles similar to click here. Probably available from your vet or contact OVAID - a pack of 12 sutures can cost approximately £20-£25
- Microscope slides and cover slips. Similar to click here
- Surgical scissors -These are really sought after - OVAID can purchase them for you @
£7 a pair! Details click here.
- Intravenous giving sets (probably obtainable from your local vet) similar to click here.
- Ibuprofen ointment
- Surgical Scrub Tops / trousers - approximately £30 a set -OVAID can purchase and
have OVAID logos embroidered free of charge.
- Syringes - 3ml / 5ml/20ml/30ml/50ml Obtainable from your local vet (they may donate)
but whilst lightweight these can be bulky but can be packed loose around your clothes!
- Hypodermic needles CAUTION - these MUST be packed in hold luggage but some vets
will donate - most needed sizes are 21G x 5/8” and 24G x 1/2”
WHAT TO EXPECT
You are embarking on an adventure to places and amongst people whose lives are very different from your own. Many aspects of life in Indonesia will seem unusual. Remember that these are often the same aspects that make an area an exotic and attractive destination. While boat expeditions are considered easy, no trek is easy, even those rated "easy or moderate". In addition to the personal physical challenges you may face, travel conditions can present unexpected obstacles, such as rough and bumpy roads and changeable weather. To prepare for this "pack" a flexible and relaxed attitude. Bring a spirit of adventure and inquiry, a healthy sense of humor and a willingness to encounter the unexpected and you will find your trip to Indonesia the adventure of a lifetime!
To place a booking simply click the 'Book Now' button for your preferred date and complete the compulsory fields of the booking form.