Travel Information - Indonesia
ARRIVAL IN YOUR DESTINATION CITY
Upon arrival in your destination city, please collect your checked luggage and proceed through immigration and customs to the arrivals exit of the terminal. Once outside, please look for hotel (hotel name will be provided) staff with a sign reading YOUR NAME. They will provide your transfer to the hotel and assist with check in. In the case that you cannot locate your transfer, please refer to the contact details provided to you in your final email from us and try to make contact with them yourself. If you end up having to catch a taxi, please keep your receipt and let us know.
DOMESTIC FLIGHTS WITHIN INDONESIA
Orangutan Odysseys use only commercial airlines. In Indonesia our preferred airline is Garuda Indonesia, however domestic flight bookings are subject to flight schedules, availability and destinations.
OO ESCORT MEETING
Upon arrival at your hotel, you will be met by an Orangutan Odysseys representative who will be organising your onward travel arrangements.
A valid passport with at least 6 months validity from your return travel date is required by all visitors. Entry visas are NOT required for citizens of Australia, Germany and the United Kingdom, however we always suggest that your check visa requirements for your country prior to traveling.
Travel Insurance is mandatory to take part in this trip and Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance is required for all trekkers. If you are an Australian resident, this can be obtained from our website by clicking on the Insurance menu tab. We strongly recommend that you also take out trip cancellation, baggage loss and accident insurance.
In the event that an aircraft evacuation is required, Orangutan Odysseys will undertake to arrange the evacuation on the condition that the expenses are reimbursed by the passenger before departing the country.
Please ensure that you take a copy of your travel insurance with you on your expedition.
RECOMMENDED CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT LIST
On top of the list below, we recommend you bring a fresh set of clothes to leave in your hotel (only if your intinerary has you returning to the same hotel) when you return to Bali or Jakarta. This way you will have a very fresh set of clothes to change into when you return from your expedition. Please note that the boating experiences are a very laid back affair.
Pack all your gear into a duffel bag or back pack. Your baggage will be either left on the boat or with the expedition crew when you go exploring. For security purposes we suggest that you bring a small padlock for your bags.
- 1-2 pairs of light weight long pants (required IF jungle trekking)
- 2-3 pair light weight shorts
- 1-2 long sleeve cotton shirt
- 3-4 t-shirts
- 1 light weight polar fleece
- Light hiking boots or firm runners (for jungle trekking)
- Pair of thongs to wear around the villages (or boat if applicable)
- Longs socks to keep leeches out (required IF jungle trekking)
- Tropical strength insect repellant
- Torch or headlamp with spare batteries
- Rain poncho (something light weight)
- Cotton towel
- A one litre water bottle to carry with you
- A personal first aid kit. Your personal first aid kit will contain Band-Aids, blister dressings, topical cream for bites and grazes, antibiotic cream for cuts and scratches, paracetamol, Deep Heat or other muscle linament and the all important insect repellent. Another first aid kit will be carried by the guide. Please note: If you have something you are particularly prone to, ear infections or sinus problems; please bring your required items for this.
- Optional items:
- Inflatable pillow (for expeditions where accommodation is in tents)
- Snacks such as barley sugar, Mentos, chocolate, muesli bars etc.
- Notebook and pen
- Camera & spare batteries, lens cleaner, tripod
Sleeping gear: For our orangutan expeditions where you will be sleeping on the Klotok (boat), we generally provide very comfortable foam mattresses with mosquito nets. To sleep in we suggest you bring a sarong or a silk sleeping bag liner together with a lightweight blanket similar to the type they provide on airline flights. (Please note that on the Palangkaraya Cruise you will be provided with a private cabin and bedding)
Note: If you have any questions regarding the above list or any other items that you want to ask about please contact us. We can provide you additional information at any time.
Camping gear: For camping components of a trip, we provide use of tents and an inflatable mattress.
HEALTH AND FIRST AID
No vaccinations are required for entry to Indonesia. However, you should consider cholera, typhoid and hepatitis vaccinations and make sure your tetanus cover is up to date. Please plan ahead and consult your doctor regarding personal health requirements as well as vaccinations and anti-malarial medication recommended for the area you are travelling to. All guests are recommended to carry a personal first aid kit however an Orangutan Odysseys first aid kit will be available on all tours.
The currency in Indonesia is the Rupiah (Rp). Money can be changed at the airport and some hotels. ATM's are also available in some areas while on tour. Credit cards such as Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted whereas American Express is limitied in its acceptance.
Tipping while not complusory is encouraged to show your appreciation to our guides, drivers and assistants during your travel.
Indonesia uses 220 Volt for its electricity. The electrical outlet has two round holes, similar to those in continental Europe. The voltage may be unstable in some places.
Many of the places you will visit are pristine. As travellers, we should try to have as little impact on these natural environments as possible. As such we recommend the following:
- We discourage the use of soaps when washing both body and clothes. We recommend the use of biodegradable soap to wash hands to help protect the eco-system.
- All rubbish taken into the Park, is taken out of the Park. If you have rubbish, can you please leave it in the rubbish bins provided on the boat or give it to your guide to be carried out. Please do not dispose of batteries in country. They are extremely harmful to the environment.
- At campsites, use toilet facilities as directed by your guide.
By abiding by these simple guidelines, you will be protecting the environment for the local people.
Orangutan Odysseys has prepared these important travel procedures with very valuable and expert advice so that we can issue our visitors to all Indonesian eco-tourism sites with information to help inform them about their responsibilities during their expeditions. We request that guests read these carefully and understand the appropriate behaviour that is needed during your time in Indonesia. Your cooperation in adhering to these guidelines will ensure the well-being of the animals, their environment and yourselves as well as help to maintain a stable and long term viable tourism facility for all.
As you trek through the forests or visit the Care Centres (if applicable to your itinerary), it is important to remember that you are entering the habitat of one of the rarest great ape species on Earth. The population of Sumatran & Bornean orangutans can generate from two different origins:
- Ex-captive individuals who have been rehabilitated and released in the forest. These released rehabilitant orangutans often do not fear humans and even expect to interact with them
- Wild individuals, some of whom have become habituated to human presence while others remain naïve and not used to people’s presence in their forest habitat.
Inappropriate behaviour by visitors may affect the behaviour and health of orangutans from both populations negatively, which places them at increased risk of becoming stressed, or the transfer of diseases. By following these simple guidelines, visitors are able to see the orangutans at all locations in a way that is safe for both themselves and the orangutans whilst at the same time, experiencing a more natural, unique experience in the forest. Please check our complete protocols page for information.
WHAT DO OUR ORANGUTAN EXPEDITIONS INCLUDE:
DONATIONS TO HELP SAVE THE ORANGUTANS
Your trip fee will include a donation amount which will go fully and directly to helping save the orangutans.
SERVICES OF AN EXPERIENCED LOCAL GUIDE
All our trek guides have been carefully selected for their ability and temperament. Each guide has training and proven abilities in eco-friendly methods, safety and careful trek operations as well as an understanding of the importance of keeping the health and happiness of the trekkers and crew as a priority. Our guides are committed to making sure that all our trekkers have an enjoyable trek, come back safely and are overwhelmed by their experience. Your guide will be a friend and companion, who takes pleasure in showing you his country's specialties and perhaps his home and family too.
Orangutan Odysseys use Hotels, boats, guest houses, boats and tents on their expeditions and try to maintain a high standard to ensure that these are always clean and comfortable. Orangutan Odysseys encourages the use of eco-friendly places where possible.
MEALS WHILE ON EXPEDITION
Meals included are as per itinerary. We usually also serve up afternoon tea and coffee as well as purified water.
We provide all domestic airfares, airport transfers in private airconditioned vehicles as well as all forms of transportation during your expedition.
CONSERVATION FEES, NATIONAL PARK AND TREK PERMITS
All trekking permits, National Park and Conservation Fees are included.
Please make sure you have the following items before you travel to the airport for your flight to Indonesia:
- Luggage with personal clothing/equipment, etc.
- Day pack (back pack) as hand luggage
- Valid passport and visa's if required
- Return Air tickets with confirmed seat and other travel documents
- Travel insurance papers
- Credit cards and cash for expenses while in Indonesia
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & SUPPORT
If you have any questions or want more information please feel free to contact the office on +61 (0)417 973 355 or email Hayley at firstname.lastname@example.org We are here to support you with all the information you require to help you prepare for your travels to Indonesia. Once you have confirmed your booking you will receive a Welcome Pack and further information specific to your tour including Australian and Indonesian contact details.