In East Java, Indonesia lies Kawah Ijen volcano, 2,600 meters tall (8,660ft), topped with a large caldera and a 200-meter-deep lake of sulfuric acid. The quietly active volcano emits gases through fumaroles inside the crater, and local miners have tapped those gases to earn a living. Stone and ceramic pipes cap the fumaroles, and inside, the sulphur condenses into a molten red liquid, dripping back down and solidifying into pure sulphur. Miners hack chunks off with steel bars, braving extremely dangerous gases and liquids with minimal protection, then load up as much as they can carry for the several kilometres to the weighing station.
Day 1: Arrive Surabaya
This morning you will arrive in Surabaya. Upon arrival, you will start your overland trip via Ijen Crater. You will take a 4 wheel drive trip and enjoy some white water rafting, Mt.Bromo and Ijen volcanoes. In the late afternoon, you will check into your Bromos accommodation. (D)
Day 2: Bromo Volcano - Mt Penanjakan.
This morning you will wake at 2:00 am for a trek to Mount Penanjakan to watch the spectacular sunrise. We will then trek to Mt Bromo (approx. 30 minutes) and climb about 250 stairs to the Bromo Crater and view Teletubies Hill. Then back to the hotel at around 11:00 am to enjoy a late breakfast and free afternoon. (B)
Day 3: Condong Village - Ijens - Banyuwangi
This morning we will check out of our hotel and drive to Condong Village (approx. 2 hours) on the eastern side of Probolinggo. Here we will raft for around 3 hours and have lunch at the rafting base camp. We will then drive to Ijen crater volcano. Ijens dual lake with its wonderful colours makes this a fascinating place to visit. We will drive to Ijen via Probolinggo, Situbondo, Banyuwangi. At around at 6:00 pm we will arrive at Banyuwangi for our overnight stay at Mahkota Hotel, Ketapang Indah Hotel, Mirah Hotel (B,L)
Day 4: Ijen Crater - Bali
This morning we wake at 3:00 am, check out of the hotel (take away breakfast) and drive to Paltuding post to the slope of Mount Ijen. Upon arrival, we will visit the park rangers post for our permit before hiking to the top of its slope while taking in the morning air with the beautiful panorama. It will take about 1.5 hours to ascend the rim of the crater along a shady track with a wonderful view. The sulfuric lake reflects the colour over the surrounding walls to give an apocalypse like impression. The local people seeking sulphur descend into the crater and climb back along the dangerous rim with loads of up to 70 KG on their shoulders. We then leave the crater, drive to Ketapang harbour and cross by ferry to Bali. From there we transfer you to your hotel. (B,L)
INCLUSIONS & EXCLUSIONS
- Private AC transportation with driver/guide
- Accommodation for 3 nights - Twin Share (single supplement available)
- 4WD Vehicle at Bromo
- 4WD Vehicle at Ijen Crater
- Entrance Fee for Bromo Mt. and Ijen Crater
- Rafting at Pekalen River at Probolinggo
- Boat Ferry from Ketapang to Gilimanuk
- Bottled water
- All meals as stated in the itinerary (B,L,D)
- International Airfares and expenses due to flight delay or cancellation
- Visas and visa fees
- Travel Insurance
- Personal Expenses - Alcholol, laundry, phone calls
$940.00 (AUD) Ask a Question
- 4 wheel drive trip and white water rafting.
- Watch the spectacular sunrise at Mount Penanjakan.
- Climb to the Bromo Crater and view Teletubies Hill.
- Visit the fascinating Ijens dual lake with its wonderful colours.
- Hike to the top of Mt Ijens and take in the beautiful panorama.